Friday, May 22, 2009

First Meal, New Kitchen


Really I can't blame them for looking so pissed off. Every day, there's a new order of business in here, and I try to at least keep the first feeding consistent in terms of location. Hugo snarfs his food, especially if he's nervous. Angus nibbles, especially if he's nervous, so we run into some issues of competition and territory with the feeding.

All in all, they're great dogs, and relatively adaptable to the contingencies of renovation. They like the tradesmen and assorted other visitors. Angus in particular, excels at meeting, greeting and learning all about what the electrician/plumber/painter/carpenter actually does, up close & personal. But, like me, they're sensitive to upheaval, so I think this weekend I'll whisk them off for a few days at the family manse in Baltimore. Upheaval, yes, but they'll enjoy the steady stream of affection and those with more generous hands when it comes to treats. Well, I could use a little of the same, plus some time with my family to recover a bit from the drone of constant work in my own house.

Lucky for me, my parents completed a big kitchen renovation fairly recently and they are basking in the glow of it. My mom bakes like she never has before, and it's just a pleasure to see how she and my dad are using the reconfigured space in unexpected ways. Like my house, theirs was built in the 1920s, and so the kitchen redesign is tricky for so many reasons (link and essay forthcoming) Also like my house, the reconfiguration of just a couple windows and doors made a tremendous impact on the use of the space, and also on the way light behaves in the room. Here I wish I had a better camera (better photographer too!) to demonstrate that point. It's astonishing to me how much it changes a space when you move a window up just a bit. Well, this will link into a whole new topic, because in the end, it's all about light.

No comments:

Post a Comment