Sunday, April 26, 2009

Do NOT try this at home

So my Sunday New York Times arrived this morning with a very timely article right on the front page. I've been thinking about this topic a lot lately, needless to say. Even in brighter economic times, people often think they can save lots of money by acting as their own designer, tradesman or general contractor. The best answer to this idea that I've heard is: "Only a fool has himself as a client." Since I am breaking my rule with nearly every aspect of this project, it's worth noting that I am aware of the risks and frustrations of a semi-do-it-myself project. And I am becoming more and more aware of them with each passing day, so hopefully this is turning me into a better architect. Without question, I have gained a better understanding of how things go together, the importance of sequence, the many logistical challenges faced by a contractor, not to mention the tremendous stress of living through renovation.
In my practice, I usually advise clients not to approach renovation as a piecemeal series of small projects.
Here's why:
1. Economy of Scale
It's just not cost-effective in the long-run. If you get a good contractor with the right tools and the right skills, you will absolutely get more bang for your buck. Some people like to equate their own sweat-equity with the hourly rate of an experienced pro. Needless to say, they're deluding themselves (and I might add, insulting said pro at the same time)
Of course, I wouldn't be doing a good job of schilling for my profession without mentioning the importance of having the right architect to design the project.
2. The Hassle Factor
Never underestimate the sense of upheaval brought on by renovations in and around your house. You sleep there, you want your pets and children and possessions to be safe there. Busting up walls is messy and noisy and dangerous. Prolonged pay-as-you-go renovations are tremendously stressful for individuals and relationships. Even the best-run project with top of the line contractors will bring stress into your household.
3. Safety
Early on, a couple of friends offered up their Sawz-Alls for my little project, but I declined until Tim and Sherman came over with the heavy artillery. With the demolition, I went at a slower pace with hand tools, but so far I still have ten fingers left. I'll need those fingers for drafting!
My general rule of thumb (yeah, I still have two of those) with power tools is: I don't use anything big, noisy or sharp unless there's someone around who knows what they're doing.
Interesting in that Times article how they report more doctors' visits related to unskilled people attempting home improvements. I don't want to be in that statistic. I've got a couple of scrapes and bruises, and today I do feel like I'm a candidate for a lower-back transplant.
I ramble on. This is a big topic, and I'm still working it out in my head and on the keyboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment