Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Keyword

Don't forget your keys!

Doors and windows are endlessly complicated. Today I swear to God I went to the locksmith three times to get the new latchset and to sort out the details of installing my existing deadbolt into the new door. When I bought this house, it came with this key, which is original. There was an impressive alarm system on all openings, including the garage, but this skeleton key was the only thing that could lock a door.

So after my many trips to Albemarle Lock and Safe (special shout-out and link forthcoming) I realized the day was wearing us all out, most of all Paul, whose primary goal was to get this house buttoned up for the night. As we were debating the various methods for doing-so (see, the deadbolt from the existing door was removed to the new one, and I don't care for keyed latches--the kind where you leave the door and realize "oops I just locked myself out") I remembered the old skeleton key in a nostalgic way. And then it all came together: no need to bolt the old door with lumber and screws: the skeleton key will turn that old mortise lock into the security system for the night. Glad I could locate it and that it worked.

No comments:

Post a Comment