Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Seriously, when does all the upheaval stop?


Poor Hugo. He's old and has never been too comfortable with change.
That said, I realize how much it taxes my nerves to have construction near where I sleep and eat, and it's good to think about that. I'm always very candid with clients about how upsetting the whole process will be.
Today's goal is to cut out a bit of wall to the left of this door and install the new door in its place. Along the way, we'll run into some electrical work (note the receptacle to the left of the jamb.) It all came together beautifully today--like minds working together and getting it done. And we had some fun along the way, too. Isn't that what it's all about?
So here's Paul, who's not only great to work with, but great to think with, too. I know that it's tricky to have someone over your shoulder when you're trying to work it out in your head, so I have a great appreciation for Paul letting me sit in on that conversation and add my own two cents, because I'm working it out in my head at the same time. In the abstract, architects just design how it's supposed to look or work. It's extremely inefficient in a lot of ways. So in my own house I just go with what feels right, and it feels right when I have confidence in the guy holding the saw.
Here, Paul has stripped the trim off that old door to the pantry, and he's getting ready to make some serious dust by cutting up that plaster and lath to give an extra eight inches to the opening. I've been marking my cabinetry ideas with blue tape on the wall and floor, and that helps me visualize things better than the thousands of dollars of CAD programs and computer hardware in the office (though I use that stuff too...)

No comments:

Post a Comment